Monday, November 14, 2011

Food is not the Enemy

All of my life I have considered food as the enemy.  Food is what made me fat.  Food is what caused my health problems.  Food is what made me so miserable in my life.  Now, I am learning that food is not the enemy.  It is what I do with food that is the problem.  Food is given to us by God to nourish his temple. 
...food, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.  For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.  1 Timothy 4:3b-5
These verses remind me that I shouldn't wage a war against food.  I should wage a war against my addiction of food.  That I can eat and enjoy what God has created for me to nourish my body without guilt, if it is done for nourishment.  That means no restrictions on what foods I can and can not eat.  Sounds great, huh?
Here is the tricky part.  That does not include this processed junk that we call food today.  God did not create Oreos.  God created bananas. 
The funny thing is, I used to look at bananas and oreos in the same light.  Bananas are "bad" fruits that should not be eaten..  How many diets have I been on that have placed restrictions on my in this way!!  How many times have I turned away God's creation thinking that it was going to make me fatter. 
I have a new way of looking at it.  If God created it, then he meant for me to enjoy it IF I am using it for my nourishment.  Because we all know by now that it is still a sin to eat a banana if you are using it as a replacement for a relationship with God! 
A life living without guilt of what I eat.  Now, that is a new idea!  

1 comment:

  1. God has you on an amazing journey. I am so Blessed and thankful to be able to share in the great things God is doing in your life. Thanks for your Blog, it is truly an inspiration to me. Love you bunches! : )

    ReplyDelete