Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Perseverance

 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  James 1:2-4

Perseverance is such a big word.  One that get stuck in my mouth and is hard for me to even say correctly.  It means the steady persistence in adhering to a course of action, a belief, or a purpose.  I will confess to you that the month of October was a hard one.  The scale was barely moving and I was getting discouraged..  For the entire month, I only lost 5 pounds.  I couldn't comprehend it.  If you look at weight loss in mathematical terms, I should have easily doubled that amount. 
Because I didn't like my situation,  I decided to control every aspect of my diet and exercise.  I doubled my amount of exercise(sometimes to over 2 hours a day).  I made sure I was eating the right food.  Yet, it didn't work. Every week, I stepped off that scale in disappointment.  T
hen something crazy happened.  I lost control!  I hurt my knee while playing soccer with Eleanor and I missed exercise for most of last week.  Then, Eleanor got sick and it has thrown my exercise schedule off for this week, as well.  I haven't been to the gym in over a week! 
I was also bombarded with temptation.   I had to make decisions daily to walk away from food that two months ago didn't even bother me.  The cookies in the cabinet were calling my name.  Cupcakes sat on the counter staring at me.  The Halloween candy whispered to me in a time of weakness.  All I could do is cling.  Cling to my Jesus.  Cling to his strength to make wise decisions in my food choices. Because of this, I have claimed victory over victory this week in the name of Jesus.  
God is teaching me to persevere even when I am not seeing results.  Even when I don't feel like it.  I must persevere and cling to him.  
That being said, guess what just happened to me.  I found the hidden scale(Yep, I was a bad girl and went on a treasure hunt!  Bryan has to find a new hiding spot!).  I stepped on it in the middle of the day(I don't know what I was thinking) and I had lost 4 pounds in just 2 days!  WHAT!?!?!?!?!
*SIGH*  Just when I am going to learn that God is in control!  I can say that this student was just taught the same lesson for the millionth time.  I can't do this with my strength and when I am in control.  I can only do it with the strength of Jesus and the faith that he is in control.  

No comments:

Post a Comment