Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Setback

I survived my first Thanksgiving post surgery.  I did very well, I must say.  I didn't eat anything I wasn't supposed to eat.  I withstood the temptation to eat sweets!  I really can't believe that I made it through the whole holiday weekend without one bite of dessert.  There was a lot of prayer that went into this weekend and there were times that those prayers were the only thing that sustained me.
That being said, I still gained 1 1/2 pounds.  I don't know why.  It could be water weight.  It could be that I ate too many carbohydrates and not enough protein.  It could be a million different things.  I have been through them all in my head and for the life of me I can't figure it out.  I would have had to consumed over five thousand extra calories over the weekend to mathematically gain that weight.  That is not possible.  So, all I can do is look at that scale and know that I had a good week.  The number does not reflect what a successful holiday I had. 
I do feel like I need to regroup.  I need to get my head back in this game and keep in the right directions.  So forgive me if I do a little review of what I know is true.
Can I lose this weight under my own power?  No, only through the strength of God can I achieve this.
Does a gain on the scale mean that you are a failure?  No, not if you know that you did everything you could to be successful at weight loss.  Step away from the scale and know that you did not sabotage yourself.
Is this journey about me and what I can gain from it?  No, it is so that God can receive all the glory when others see what a great work he has done in me.
A friend posted this on their Facebook today.  I thought it was so appropriate.  Charles Spurgeon: "Humility is to feel that we have no power of ourselves, but that it all cometh from God.
And then I found this verse.  Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.  James 4:10
What a great reminder to me that I can not do this through my own power.  I have to constantly put myself in a state of humility before the Lord.  I have to be reminded time and time again that it is only through him that I will be successful.  Without that, I will surely fail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment