Thursday, December 1, 2011

God's Sense of Humor

I have been dealing with a severe reaction to milk products lately.  It has gone beyond normal lactose intolerance and has moved into what I suspect may be an allergy to milk.  I have started becoming very ill whenever I eat anything that even contains dairy products.  For example, I became very ill yesterday after eating a veggie burger.  Who knew that a veggie burger would be made with milk, but sure enough there it was in the ingredients.
As you can imagine, the last 3 weeks have been torture for me.  I LOVE MILK!  I LOVE CHEESE!  I LOVE YOGURT!  These are things that I was relying on to get protein into my diet.  I can no longer tolerate them.  They make me sick.  I have gone from being mad to being sad and then back to mad again.  Really, God, you are going to take another type of food away from me?  Are you going to make me face another food issue?  Are you testing me to see if I am truly ready to give up everything that might be tied to my addiction?   I mean I do have to eat something, you know! 
Then yesterday, I had this weird thought.  Maybe this allergy/intolerance(going to the doctor on Monday to find out) is an answer to prayer.  You see, I have been very worried about falling back into my old habits with food.  I have been so fearful that I am going to put the weight back on.  Could it be that God has allowed me to develop this condition so that I can't go back to eating everything that I am so tempted by. 
Lets make a list of my favorite foods.  Brownies, cakes, pizza, Italian food, cereal w/milk, chunks of cheese, Mexican cheese dip, chocolate, etc.  I mean everything that I have been fearful of returning to and not being able to control how much I eat contains MILK! 
When I realized this, I kind of had to giggle.  Talk about God answering my prayers about my fears!  I guess the saying is right, "Be careful what you pray for!".
Now, I am not real happy with the situation.  It is going to take some time for me to learn how to live without dairy products.  But, I am going to take it in stride and do the best I can with what I have been given.  After all, God is good all the time, even when we don't see it.  I am preparing my mind for action(James 1:13).  I am reading books and investigation ways to adapt to my new circumstances.  After all, there is no use crying over spilled milk, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment