Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Immediately

I have a thought in my head that I haven't fully processed yet, but it has stuck with me for the last couple of days.  I wanted to share it with you.  I am reading through Matthew.  At this time of year, I like to read through Matthew or Luke so that I can remind myself of the birth and life of Jesus. 
But, it isn't the story of Jesus that is sticking with me.  It is the reaction that others had when Jesus entered their life.  It starts with Joseph(the encounter that Mary had with Gabriel only occurs in Luke).  When he has the dream that tells him to take Mary as his wife, even though she is pregnant, he wakes up and he DOES IT.  He doesn't say that he needs to pray about it or talk it over with his godly mentors, he just DOES IT.
It happens again, this time when Jesus has grown up and is starting his ministry.  When he calls Peter and Andrew to be his disciples, it says, At once they left their nets and followed him.  Matthew 4:20.  AT ONCE they followed him.  Again, there was no hesitation.  They did what the Lord wanted them to do.
James and John had the same reaction to Jesus' request.  Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.  Matthew 4:22  It just amazes me that there was no hesitation when this strange man asked them to leave everything they knew and everyone they loved and to come with him.
Here is my thought.  Why do we tell Jesus to wait a little while before we give him an answer.  Oh, Lord, we need to seek counsel.  We need to pray about it and make sure that we can handle what you are asking.  We have to weigh our options. 
Let me tell you, when God tells you to do something, you need to obey immediately.  Whether it be as small as a name of someone being laid on your heart to pray for or as big as quitting your job and becoming a missionary.  Stop what you are doing and obey.  Just like Pastor Zach always says, "Delayed obedience is disobedience."  If it is truly God moving within you, you will know it.  There will be no question on who is speaking.  So, your only reaction should be to move.  Do it and let God take care of the rest.
As I am typing this, I have no idea why God has placed this on my heart.  I wonder what he may be preparing me for.  What will 2012 hold for the Hughes family?  It may be more of the same.  Simple service to our Lord, or it may be something great.  But, when he asks for my obedience, you better believe that I will immediately follow where is says go.  What about you?  Is there something that God is asking you to do and you are delaying in disobedience?   

1 comment:

  1. We talked about this in Bible study on Sunday - especially in light of Mary's response to the angel when he told her she would bear the Savior. She did not falter or wait - she immediately said "May it be as you say." What amazing faith! Merry Christmas and big hugs to you, Mary. You are in my prayers each day!

    ReplyDelete