Monday, October 10, 2011

Sneaky Satan

As most of you already know, I was "MOOOed" at by some teenage boys yesterday while I was walking down Bridge Street.  I was instantly taken back to junior high, when the boys were so mean and cruel to me.  Always laughing and snickering at me both to my face and when they didn't think that I knew.  (I even had a boy come up and hand me a empty jar of Slim-Fast in front of the whole school and everyone around was laughing.)
I thought I would be immune to it.  I thought that with age, you are more confident in who you are.  I was wrong.  I wish I could say that I had a smart comment to whip back to the kid that did it, but I was stunned silent.  Forced to walk by like I had not heard a thing.
Through the support of friends, I have realized that it was an attack by Satan.  It is so interesting how he will lay low for awhile.  Just long enough for you to get comfortable and let your guard down.  Then he comes in for the kill. Catching you with your defenses down and knowing how to hit in the exact spot that will hurt the most. 
I have just gotten over a major attack by someone that I considered a friend.  It has taken months for that wound to begin to heal.  I guess it was time to attack again.  Satan wants to try and get me to a point that I am never fully standing strong with my Lord. 
Be self controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith...."  I Peter 5:8-9a
Two things I have to remember.  The first is that Satan doesn't bother with you when you aren't doing what the Lord wants you to.  This confirms yet again, that I am on the right path.  This journey was God ordained and I am doing what he asks of me.  Second, that I need to stay alert.  Letting my guard down will only allow for Satan to get a foothold.  Satan doesn't fool around.  It isn't a joke to him.  He is in the business of bringing God followers to destruction.  We have to be alert and ready for his attacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment