Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Deliverer

Indeed in our hearts we felt the sentence of death.  But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves, but on God who raises the dead.  He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us.  On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us.  2 Corinthians 1:24

I stumbled across this verse just now.  I was preparing some scripture on note cards so that I can memorize them.  It is a list of scriptures that declares our victory in Christ.  This scripture left me in tears and audibly praising my Savior.  I couldn't keep it in.  Thank goodness, no one is home but me. 
This scripture describes my life and my journey.  When I reflect back on where I was almost a year ago, I remember feeling like I had been given a death sentence.  No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't lose the weight.  The defeat was overwhelming and I fell into a depression.  I didn't know what else to do.  Didn't know how I was ever going to get healthy. 
It was in the darkness of that depression, that God impressed upon my soul that I was never going to do it in my own power.  The key to my never ending defeat was that I was trying to do it on my own.  I believe God brought me to rock bottom to make me rely on him.  I started understanding that only through Christ was I going to gain victory. 
So, I committed my life and my body to Christ.  I committed to daily face my addiction and to ask for God's strength to fight the battle.  With that commitment has come deliverance.  Oh, what a long, hard road it has been, but my God has proven himself  faithful day after day.  He always gives me the strength to make it through the day.  Sometimes it is just enough strength to make it through the moment.  But, he is always there. 
I have come to rely on him in a way that I never thought possible.  It is a daily choice to allow him to be my strength.  To allow him to be my rock.  To allow him to deliver me on a daily basis from my flesh and my sin.  Like the verses above state, I have set my hope that he will continue to deliver me.  Without him in control of my life, I will surely fail.  With him in control, I will continue to be victorious!  With that, I cry out to him.  Praise be to the Lord my Savior!  HE IS MY DELIVERER!

No comments:

Post a Comment