Friday, May 4, 2012

Naysayers and Critics

Throughout this journey, there have been multiple times that people have taken opportunities to point out my flaws, my imperfections, and my shortcomings.  Each time, they say things to me like "well, you put yourself out there and share it all with the world" or "you just go around acting all godly" and even "your the one writing the Christian blog".  It is as if because I am sharing what God is teaching me and how he is molding me, pruning me, and disciplining me, that they believe they have a right to knock me down when I do not live up to their standards. 
Today, I was reminded through a Mandissa song(I know you are probably tired of hearing her songs!) that there is only one opinion that matters.  There is only one definition of me.  That is God's opinion.  It really only matters what he thinks of me.  Whether that definition is what I look like or how people think I should act.  Only one opinion matters.

Definition of Me

Everybody's got an opinion
Of what they want me to be
Everybody's got a condition
That I may never meet

So tired of looking in the mirror
It always says the same thing
I want to be about something different
Something more than the mirror can see

Like joy, peace
Alive in me
When it comes to my identity

Chorus:
I want the love
I want the light
I want the beauty
On the inside
I want the one that you can't see
To be the definition of me
More than the face
More than the girl
More than the voice
More than the world
I want the truth that I believe
To be the definition of me

Pretty is cool for a minute
But it always fades away
Trends are hot for a second
They'll be gone the very next day

So before you get lost in the moment
Let’s get one thing clear
Only love will last forever
That's the reason that we're here

It's up to you ‘cause everybody's looking
Who do you want them to see?

I want to be the girl that people see Jesus through.  I love and cherish all the comments about my weight loss.  It a boost of confidence that is much needed sometimes.  But more than anything, I want people to see the beauty that is inside.  I want that to make more of an impact than skinny jeans. 

With all that said, I have never, ever claimed to have it all together.  I am a sinner.  A stinky filthy sinner.  So, just because I am posting on this blog or on Facebook about what I am learning, doesn't mean that I am an expert. I have never claimed to be.  All I have ever done is write about my personal journey. I try very hard not to tell anyone else what there journey should be.  It will always be different than mine.  So for the naysayers and critics, I am sorry if I do not measure up to your standards.  I never will, because I will never be anything more than a sinner trying to live the best life I can for my Lord.  I will probably never get it right, but each day I will try.  Maybe, each day that inner beauty will shine through more and more.  Eventually, I want that to be the beauty that people see in me. 



3 comments:

  1. Amen! It is a narrow path and all along there will be people and circumstances that will try to derail us. We must keep our sights on the Lord. We CAN NOT be lovers of this world AND love our Lord. It is impossible! I choose to please my Heavenly Father and not man. If this makes me unpopular I can live with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Mary :) We love you and are so encouraged by everything you share!

    ReplyDelete