Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sacrifice

This morning as I held Eleanor and read to her the story of Abraham and Issac, I could not help the tears from falling.  Her warm body pressed against mine, I was reminded of the love that one has for their children.  How in the world did Abraham trust God enough to do what he did?  He was prepared to kill his only child because the Lord told him to do it.  Imagine yourself strapping down your child to an altar.  Their trust in you is so great that they don't question what you are doing.  Having their eyes look into yours as you raise the knife to slaughter the thing that is the most precious gift that you have ever received.  It rocked me to my core.
Then it took me to the place of indescribable joy.  Because, my friend, God did that for me.  He did that for you.  He slaughtered his child for us.  He gave Jesus over to this world because he loves you and me that much.
The reality of that gift is so real in my heart today.  How dare I ever question how much my Lord cares for me.  How dare I ever wonder if he is even listening to my prayers.  He gave me a sacrificial gift that says it all. 
Jesus on the cross for me.   God turning his back on his lovely son because of my dirty, rotten sin.  Can you imagine that anguish that it caused him to have to watch that?  To have to look into the eyes of his ever trusting son and listen to his cries and do nothing.  My friend, that is how much God loves you!  Does it rock your core too?  It should!

No comments:

Post a Comment