Monday, February 27, 2012

Learning to Rely on God

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we arselves have received from God.  2 Corinthians 1:3-4
...But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God.  2 Corinthians 1:9

"I just can't catch a break!"
"Why is it always something? "
"Why is God picking on me?  Can't he just let me catch my breath?"

Have you ever felt that way?  I know I have.  You are put through the refiner's fire only to be thrown back in again.  Trail after trial comes your way and you feel like you can't handle anymore.  Or you finally get a handle on something, only to feel like you are pushed back under water before you can get a full breath of air in your lungs.  Time after time, God seems to be allowing you to go through too much.
I have certainly felt that way in the last few months.  Just when I get comfortable and feel like things are under control, something else is thrown at me.  But, I have started to be thankful for these times.  Do I enjoy being pruned by my Lord?  No, it is painful.  But, I am seeing the fruits of it.  I am seeing how God is reshaping and remolding me.  I handle situations differently(most of the time).  I see hardships and trials differently.  I am learning very clear lessons.
One of the biggest lessons I am being taught is reliance on God.  I am learning that God puts us in impossible situations that teach us one thing.  To rely on him.  We don't always go there.  We sometimes rely on other things.  Just as I used to rely on food for comfort when times got tough.  But, my friend, when we learn to rely on God during the tough times, great things happen.  Wonderful, amazing things happen.  Oh, going through it STINKS!  It is not like I wake up and say in a sing-song voice, "pick me, Lord!  I want to be tested and tried today!!"   But, I can tell you that I am ever so grateful that God has seen fit to make me more like him.  So I will gladly learn this lesson time and time again.
Reliance on God isn't a one time lesson.  Nothing is ever a one time lesson.  We are self-centered people that often forget that we need God.  It is shown time and again in the bible.  God does great things for people and they are grateful.  Then over time, they forget and they wander away from God.  That is why I am glad that God keeps putting things in my path that make me turn back to him.  Over and over again.  The big and the small stuff keep me running to my Lord.  Running and praying for guidance and for peace.  Praying for strength and for patience.  But most of all, praying that the lesson will be learned. 
I need God.  I can't do it without him.  Not for a single minute.  The more I realize that, the more I can sit back and let the Lord work.  I don't fight the pruning as much as I once did.   I am seeing that when I am relying on God, then his purpose is served.  Because, in the end, that reliance turns into glorification of his name.  It makes me realize that it was never possible without God.  All the glory of making it through the tough times goes to the one who deserves it.  GOD.
We need to stop looking at our trouble as negatives and see all the positives that are going to come out of it.  It is all about a change of perspective.  Oh, and a change of direction.  We have to stop relying on ourselves and others and start relying on God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment