Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Lenten Sacrifice

I want to start off by explaining why this Southern Baptist girl believes observing Lent can be so beneficial.  It has always been a time for me to actively pursue a deeper relationship with God.  Should it be the only time during the year that we do this?  Why of course not, but it is a very special time when all the focus and attention is placed on the ultimate sacrifice that was made for each of us on the cross.
I have given up various things in the past.  I have given up certain foods, taking naps, and eating out.  These are just a few, but they serve as good examples of what I choose.  You see, they represent aspects of my life that were not lining up with a right walk with God.  They represents gluttony, slothfulness, and poor management of the gifts that God has given me.  Because, really, is is a sin to drink Diet Mountain Dew or to take a nap?  No, but it can be if it is what is coming between you and a good relationship with the Lord. 
Now, in order for Lent to be done right, it needs to result in a change.  It is not simply to give up something for 40 days only to return to your old habit when Easter rolls around.  What good is it to deny yourself without allowing the Lord to work on the root of the problem?
With that said, I really couldn't think of anything to give up for Lent this year.  I mean, my whole year has been sacrificing for my relationship with Christ.  What more could I give?  But, as I began to pray about it(Yes, you should let God choose it, not pick the thing that you think you can handle.), I realized there was something that God wanted me to give up.  One last thing that has a hold on me.  One thing that still controls me in this battle with my addiction.  THE SCALE.
Strange and random, I know.  But, the scale is the one thing that I am still obsessive about.  That little piece of machinery controls my whole world.  It either validates me or destroys me.  It either makes me happy or it ruins my week.  It controls my thoughts.  Those moments with the scale tells me what kind of person I am.  I allow it to dictate my self worth.  There are years worth of rituals that have been developed with me and my scale.  I can not imagine it being taken completely away from me.  But, that is exactly what God has asked of me.  He needs to break that last string of external dependence. 
I know that my only validation should come from the Lord.  I know that the scale shouldn't determine my mood or my self worth.  That is a job for God.  But, knowing it and actually believing it is different.  So, for the next six weeks, I will be letting the Lord break me and then mold me into a woman that is even more dependent on him.  A woman that can use the scale to determine the weight of my body and not the worthiness of my soul.  For, if I only give up the scale and pine away for the moment that I can continue with my obsession, then it would have been for naught.  That is not the point.  The point is through my sacrifice that I be conformed.  That every time I long for that scale for validation, that I will look to the cross instead.  That my focus will be on Christ and not on the external. 

No comments:

Post a Comment