Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pray and Release

On September 6, 2011 I wrote a blog about having an identity crisis.  I was at a spot that I didn't know who I was or what I was supposed to be doing with my time now that Eleanor was in school.  I remember that time in my life very clearly.  I remember praying about a job, a chance to volunteer or something to make my days go by.  His answer at that time was clearly to work on myself.  Every time I tried to find something to do, it would fall through.
Since then, I have had several things come up and I would always pray and ask God if this was something he wanted me to do.  I asked him about substituting or trying to find a job at a Mother's Morning Out.  I asked him about possibly starting a chapter of Blessings in a Backpack in the Huntsville/Madison area.  I asked him if I should be a travel agent and even went as far as asking my Sister in Law if she needed help with her business.  Each time, the answer was no. 
As time went by, I just didn't worry about it anymore.  It was obvious that God just wanted me to be still.  To focus on him and on being a wife and a mother.  In fact, I stopped praying about my purpose in life.  I stopped praying about what I was supposed to do.  I just started living and taking each opportunity that was given to share the love of Christ.  I volunteer regularly at Eleanor's school.  I coupon and try to manage the gifts we have been given wisely.  I just do what needs to be done and shop at Target in my free time.  :)
Yesterday, out of the blue, my sister in law, April, called and asked if I was still interested in helping her out.  She is so busy with her travel agency and another business she is a part of, that she felt like she needed to take on a couple of more people.  I had to giggle to myself.  It struck me funny that God worked it all out even when I wasn't actively pursuing anything.  He orchastrated it all in his own timing.  Isn't it neat how it always works out that way.
It was a great reminder to me that we should pray and leave it at the feet of Jesus.  He hears our prayers the first time.  He knows what we need and he is working it out for us.  I don't think it is a bad thing to pray repeatedly for the same thing.  But, we need to do it with the knowledge that he heard us the first time.  Just becuase he doesn't answer right away does not mean that he isn't working on it.  Sometimes it takes time to get everything and everyone to the right place.  It reminds me of this beautiful hymn:
Have faith in God when you prayers are unanswered
Your earnest plea He will never forget
Wait on the Lord, trust His Word and be patient
Have faith in God, He'll answer yet

1 comment: