Friday, February 3, 2012

What We Worship

What we fix our attention, heart, and mind on is what we'll worship.  What we worship becomes magnified.  And what is magnified will consume us and perpetuate more and more worship. -Lysa Terkeurst

I stopped and reflected on this statement this morning.  I had to ask myself, "What are you worshiping?  What is consuming your thoughts?"  The answer, sadly, was not Jesus.  The answer was the scale.  I have been all consumed with hitting the one hundred pound mark this month.
Even though I am only weighing once a week, the scale is constantly on my mind.  I wonder what the number will be. Will it reflect my efforts and my choices?  I count down the days until weigh in day.  I start getting panicked as Monday draws near.  I begin to worry about particular foods and drinks having an effect on the weight on the scale.  The scale is always looming in my mind.  I have become fearful of the scale. 
I am glad that God brought this to my attention this morning.  Sometimes it is good to have a self-check moment to make sure that you are still on course.  I feel like this is what happened this morning.  It was God nudging me and reminding me that my focus should be on him.  Another reminder that when I take my eyes off of him, things start to unravel.  My peace is taken from me.  Worry and fear begin to be overwhelming.
I am reminded in Matthew 6 that there is no need to worry.  Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food and the body more important than clothes?...Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?  Matthew 6:25 & 27  What good is it going to do me to worry about the number on the scale?  Isn't life more important than that number?
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.  Matthew 6:33&34
All I have to do is stay focused on God and everything else will fall into place.  It is a lesson that I think God will forever have to remind me of.  It is never about what I can do.  But, always about what he can do through me.  Why?  So it is all for his glory and never about my efforts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment