Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Acting Like an Isrealite

I had an epiphany in the car this morning.  I am acting like an Israelite.  I have forgot my past and all that God has done for me and I have started grumbling and complaining because he isn't doing what I think he is supposed to do.  When I told Bryan this, he actually laughed out loud and strongly agreed with me!
For the last few weeks I have been very frustrated that the scale is not moving.  In fact, last week, I went to the doctor and did look at the scale and I had gained a pound.  Total frustration!  I am doing everything right.  I am eating my protein.  I am exercising regularly.  I am getting my fluids in.  It makes me want to scream!  I am so close.  Only 25 more pounds to go and I am stuck with a capital "S".
Because these last 6 weeks have been so rough, I have become increasingly more negative about everything.  Bryan has commented in the last few days how everything out of my mouth is negative.
So this morning, it hit me.  I am mimicking an Israelite.  God had freed them from captivity.  He has done miraculous things for them.  He had promised them victory and the glorious promise land.  At first they were overwhelmed and grateful.  Then over time, when things weren't going their way, they started grumbling.  The got mad and they pitched fits all because God wasn't doing what he said he was going to do.  The more they grumbled, the longer that wandered around in that desert!  Sometimes that wandering would take them so very close to the promise land, but never close enough to enter. God wanted them to remember who was in control and who knew what was best.
Oh my goodness, that is exactly what I am doing.  I am sitting around and stomping my foot because I am not losing the weight on my timetable.  I am grumbling and focusing on all the negative things.  I am getting angry at God because I am doing everything he has asked of me and yet that stupid little number on the scale is not moving!  I have decided not to focus on what God has already done for me and what he has promised he will accomplish through me.  I have instead focused on my current circumstance.  Not understanding why God would have me stuck here so close to the goal that he has promised me. 
Hmmm....maybe I need to stop grumbling and instead remember who is in control.  God has promised me that I will be victorious.  I am more than a conqueror through Christ Jesus.  I have to remember that God isn't in the business of failure, if he is the one in charge.  He will get me to my goal.  He will help me obtain victory.  But, it will be in his time and in his way.  So, I need to stop pitching my fits, change my attitude, and press on toward the goal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment