Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Old and the New

While I was on vacation in Monterey, CA this week, I discovered a few things about myself.  It was an eye opening experience for me.  A vacation that was unlike any that I have ever taken.  I realized it was because I am a different person.  I have a completely different outlook on what a vacation means.  For once, a vacation wasn't centered around food.  There was no "I am on vacation and I can eat what I want" mentality.  It was business as usual in the food department.  I made my main focus on keeping myself fueled.  That meant lots of protein.  I even went to the store and bought food for me to snack on.  That way I would not be tempted to grab something while I was out.  All it took was a little planning.  Now, I was tempted.  Oh, that Nestle Toll House cookie shop was my nemesis.  The glorious smell wafting from the doorway.  Also, the Parisian bakery that had a store front window filled with endless treats may just have some drool marks left on it by me.  But, God was good.  He made me powerful enough to walk away.  I did allow myself a bite of Bryan's dessert one evening and it was way too rich and sweet.  It was more than I even wanted and actually I didn't enjoy it at all! 
So, I came away from a week of vacation with no guilt and no remorse from the choices that I had made.  This is a far change from a person that would be so gluttonous in the past that I would come home 8 pounds heavier from a single trip!
I discovered something else I was away.  I discovered the old me.  A "me" that some of you have known in the past, but many have never met.  Even Bryan had never met this "me".  I found the part of me that loves the outdoors.  That loves to hike and explore.  The side of me that was forced into hiding first because of a back injury and then because of the weight that I put on after that.  Bryan had heard stories of my the good ol' days of hiking and backpacking.  He had even seen the camping equipment, the backpacking gear, and the $300 pair of hiking boots, but he could not imagine me ever doing it. 
As Bryan and I explored the coast, my heart started to sing for joy.  It was so glorious to be out in nature.  To be climbing the cliffs and hiking the trails.  Seeing sights that you can't see from the road.  This is when I finally felt alive.  I finally felt happy.  To be with my love and doing something that I love with him was more than one little heart to contain. 
It is all worth it.  Everything that I have been through in the last months.  All the trials and hardships have been completely worth it.  Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to go through them and thank you for bringing me out of them.  Thank you for this body that you have given me that can finally function the way that you designed it.  Thank you for the creation of this earth and that I can finally explore it again.  The peace and blessings that are found in nature can once again be experienced by me.  Oh, happy day!

3 comments:

  1. Mary,
    I can't tell you how much this just fills my heart with joy! I'm tearing up just writing this comment. I am SO HAPPY for you. God is so good! I know he will continue blessing you as you travel on this journey. Thanks for being such a blessing and inspiration to me. Lots of Love, Aunt Rebecca : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I almost forgot to say....You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete