Sunday, March 4, 2012

You Are Dead to Me!

Wow, I had a life changing moment this morning in church.  It was one of those sermons that was meant just for me.  The sermon was on Romans 6.  It was about being dead to sin and alive in Christ.  The first part of the sermon I just wanted to stand up and shout "Amen".  It was a reminder of my journey.  How one day I realized that I was living in my sin.  I was letting my addiction of food be my lord and master.  I was a slave to it.  I was going against what Paul was telling us.  Therefore, do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desire.  Do not offer the parts of your body to sin as intsruments of wickedness.... Romans 6:12  I was convicted that I was doing this.  I was letting it reign and I gave myself over to my Lord to help me break the stronghold.  Since then, I have become stronger each day.  Each day, I have faced my addiction and let the Lord break it. 
It wasn't too long ago that I began realizing that my addiction didn't have a stronghold on me anymore.  It was evident through little things.  I no longer become angry or hurt when I am not able to eat cake at a birthday party.  It doesn't phase me to turn down desserts.  I don't think twice about my small portions anymore.  I no longer feel deprived with my meager 1/2 cup of food.  Instead, I feel satisfied and complete.  But with this realization, came the fear.  Fear that my addiction would overcome me again.  Fear that I would not be able to maintain my weight.  That somehow, the surgery would be for naught. 
This is where I was this morning.  Sitting and listening to the sermon and living with fear.  That is when God spoke to me and made me realize that my addiction is dead to me.  It died with Christ on the cross and because of that I AM FREE!.  Oh, sweet joy!!  The stronghold is broken and I can stand firm in the knowledge that I am no longer a slave to my addiction. For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.  Romans 6:14
There is one action that I must do daily to remain in this freedom.  It is going to be the most important action that will lead to my success.  It is the second part of Romans 6:12.  ...rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness.  I must turn the parts of my body that were once used for sin and offer them DAILY to Christ.  Not only my mouth and my stomach, but all parts of my body.  This, my friend, is my new action plan.  With this, all things are possible.  Why?  Because, God will be in control of all of me and when I stumble, I will be reminded that I am free.  I can look sin and temptation in the face and say, "You are dead to me!".  That alone gives me the courage to face each day!  That alone strikes the fear out of my soul!  Thank you, Lord, for the perfect gift of grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment