Saturday, April 14, 2012

Genie in a Bottle

I am tired of this concept of I can get anything I want from God if only I believe it enough, pray for it the right way, and for some speak it into being.  It is simply not the way it works.  I have tried it.  I have bought into it, but I have been convicted lately, that God is not my genie in a bottle.  He is not in the business of giving me anything I want just because I believe it enough.  He doesn't give me what I want.  He gives me what I NEED. 
There are some truths in what these well meaning people do.  Yes, everything is possible with God.  Yes, God can move mountains with just a mustard seed of faith.  Yes, God gives you what you want if you earnestly ask him.  But here is where they go wrong.  It isn't everything we ask for.  It isn't an avenue for us to get what we want.  GOD ONLY GIVES US THE THINGS WE ASK FOR IF THEY ARE IN ACCORDANCE TO HIS WILL.
So, I might pray the most beautiful prayer for another child.  I might claim every morning that I am going to have another child.  I might have unmoveable faith that God can make my barren womb into a fruitful womb(becuase he can).  But, if it isn't his will for me to have another child, then I am not getting it. 
Most of the scriptures that are used to support this "Name it, Claim it" philosophy are taken out of context.  Most of them are speaking of blessings that the scriptures have promised us, if we only ask.  For example, wisdom.  God has promised to give us wisdom if we ask for it.  So, we can believe without a doubt if we ask for it, we will receive it.  I can find nowhere is scripture that tells me that if I ask for something I want, that I will automatically get it.  If you know of one, please share it with me. 
I think we need to be careful on how we ask for what we want.  I am learning this lesson.  I am commanded to pray for my desires.  Why?   I believe that is so that no matter whether I get my desire or I don't, all credit can go to God.  Remember, God will make his glory known.  In fact, that is our mission as Christians is to make his glory known.  So, I will pray feverently for another child.  BUT, I will ask for it only if is in the will of God to give it to me.  If it is not in his will, I will also pray that through this I will be drawn closer to him.  Through this, I will learn that greater joy can come from not having another child, if that is what he choses.  Because, my God has promised that through all things, I can have peace and joy in him.
My God has a future planned for me.  A future that will be full of hope and prosperity. But he is going to give me things or keep things from me that are going to ensure that I stay close to him.  Who knows, maybe another child would become an idol for me(or already has) and I need to be denied it so that I will keep my focus on Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment