Monday, April 30, 2012

Run, Mary!

This morning didn't start off very good.  It was weigh in day, and it wasn't what I expected.  According to the science of "calories in, calories out" I should have lost 1 1/2 to 2 pounds this week.  I mean, I really busted my booty.  I ate a perfect diet and I increased my exercise.  I tracked everything with my Body Bugg.  Despite all this, I got on the scale and only lost 1/2 pound.   I was frustrated beyond belief.  I was so mad that I wanted to quit.  Why have I given up all carbs?  Why am I working out so much?  I didn't want to go to the gym, but I did.  I am a firm believer that God honors commitment, so off I went.
So, grumpy old me got on the treadmill.  I started walking and that little voice told me to RUN.  Oh, no, I told myself.  I can't run.  I have tried it before.  I can never make it more than a minute before I am panting and about to pass out.  Well, at least that is how it was before I lost the weight.  So, I increased my speed and told myself to aim for 3 minutes.  Surely after a hundred pounds you can run 3 minutes straight.  Well, 3 minutes came and went.  So did 5 and 8 minutes.  I made it to 10 minutes without stopping of slowing down!  WHAT!?!?!?!?!  As the minutes kept rolling around and I kept going, the joy I felt was overwhelming.  Honestly, I could have kept going, but I didn't want to wake up tomorrow not being able to get out of bed. 
God proved to me(AGAIN) that I am not defined by that number on the scale.  He is doing a great work in me and he is faithful to complete it.  It may not be in my time or in my way, but he is working in me.  He has given me the strength to become a whole new person.  A person that I don't even recognize in the mirror.  A person that can do more than she ever thought she could.  Running on that treadmill meant more to me today than 2 pounds ever would have.  God proved to me that it success does not always show up on the scale! 

1 comment:

  1. woohooo!!! that is awesome! that's how i started running...one day, when i was on a walk, i thought, "i wonder if i could run?" so, i just started running, and when i would get tired i would stop. and, i ran a little further every time. after i had kids, i did the couch to 5k plan. i'm so proud of you and all your accomplishments, mary! obviously, God gets all the glory, but you have worked your tail off! (literally!) so glad to be keeping up with you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete