Thursday, September 22, 2011

He Goes Ahead

Do you ever read the bible like you read a book?  Skipping over the minor details just to get to the "good part".  I was doing that this morning in Mark.  I was reading chapter 14 as Mark is recounting the Lord's Supper.  I read it like this.  "blah, blah, blah....and when the evening came, Jesus arrived with the twelve. Mark 4:17".  I knew that was an indication of where the story was to begin.  The story of the breaking of bread and the drinking of wine.  The story of betrayal being played out.
Then, something made me back up.  I went back and read the first few verses of this account.  There, I found something that is a true indicator that God goes before us.  The disciples ask Jesus, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations for you to eat the Passover?" v. 12
Jesus answered, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you.  Follow him.  Say to the owner of the house he enters,  The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?  He will show you a large upper room, furnished and ready.  Make preparations for us there." vs. 13-15
It got me to thinking that God was steps ahead of the disciples.  He had to work in the heart of the owner of the house.  Had to place in his heart to get that room ready.  He may not have even known why he was doing it.  God also had to get the man carrying the jar of water to the right place at the right time. 
Why do we think that things are out of control?  It was a time for me to stop and reflect on the fact that everything is being worked out for us.  It may not be how we perceive it should be, but God is in control.  Let me say that again.  GOD IS IN CONTROL.  He is in control of the big things and the little things. 
God was working out the big plan of his son being sacrificed on the cross.  In doing so, he was also orchestrating the little things to ensure that his will would be done. 
Wouldn't it be easier if we could just rest in the knowledge of this fact?  God can handle it.  He is not going to make a mistake.  I woke up with a verse in my heart this morning.  I think it sums it all up.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways, acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment