Monday, May 30, 2011

Pushing the Limits and Breaking the Rules

I am a rule breaker at heart.  This should not surprise any of you.  I like to push the limits.  I know it isn't right, but in the words of my 5 year old, "I just can't help it sometimes!".
Yesterday I broke the first rule of my diet.  A rule that I promised both myself and my surgeon I would not do.  Wanna know what it was?  I skipped ahead on my diet.  I had a spoonful of peanut butter.  Now, the rules were clearly written out and I had at least 3 people go over these rules with me before my surgery.  Each time, I said, "Oh no, I would never do that!   Only crazy people would risk damaging their new stomach by doing that!".  But, I did.
What brought me to do it?  I can't say for sure, other than just being worn down by that voice in my head.  That voice(aka Satan) kept telling me that it would be okay.  It told me that I deserved it after being on next to nothing for two weeks.  It told me that I was only a day and a half from being able to have it anyway.  I rationalized that rule until I was able to break it without much guilt. 
I would never break the BIG rules, just the LITTLE rules! I mean, it was peanut butter.  I didn't kill anyone!  But, isn't it the same thing?  If I was an alcoholic instead of a food addict, wouldn't breaking a little rule be detrimental?  Wouldn't one sip cause me to break my sobriety?  That rule was put into place to make sure that my stomach does not bust open.  That is a crazy thing to risk for some peanut butter!!!  But I did it anyway. 
Does it make it right that I did it, just because it is my nature?  Well, duh..NO!  So what do I do?
When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.  For in my inner being I delight in God's law, but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.  What a wretched man I am!  Who will rescue me from this body of death?  Thanks be to God-through Jesus Christ our Lord! Romans 7:21-25
I keep fighting the battle.  I ask forgiveness for breaking the rule.  Then, I set my mind on what the Lord desires of me and turn away from my sinful nature(Romans 8:5).  And I praise the Lord that there is not condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus(Romans 8:1). 

Weekly Weigh-in:
Starting weight:304
Weight this week: 286
Amount lost this week: 3 pound
Total Lost: 18 pounds

Praising the Lord that the scale finally started to move again!  Thank you Lord, for seeing me through another week!  (And for not letting my tummy spring a leak when I ate the PB!)

No comments:

Post a Comment