Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Scale....Enemy Number One

This morning I got on my scale and for the first time since surgery, it had not budged. (Now, I know I have lost a significant amount of weigh this week...so don't take this as complaining and being ungrateful.)  I went into panic mode.  Yesterday was the day that I increase my diet to puddings, yogurt, and soups.  So, I immediately went "there".  Yes, my obsessive self when to the point of wanting to go back to jello!  At least I was losing weight there!!!  It is SO IRRATIONAL, I know.  But, when it comes to the scale, are we ever rational creatures?  Why do we let that little machine control our lives?
So, after Bryan talked me back down off the ledge(There really are special rewards for that man when he gets to heaven for having to deal with me!), I went to the scripture to help me deal with my fear of the scale. 
Now, I was really hesitant on if I was going to find anything.  I really wish there was a verse that says, "you shall not live by the numbers on the scale alone".  Or at least something of that nature, but there is not.  I read my chapter in Romans and got some good stuff, but nothing to help me with my struggle today.  So off I went to the Psalms.  I am jumping around a bunch and not really finding what I am looking for.  I prayed "Lord, I need my nugget for the day!  Please lead me to it!". 
I have a Women's Devotions Bible and I have always thought the devotions in it were really cheesy, so I don't pay any attention to them.  But, today I saw the title Delight Only in Him by Debbie Smith and I was drawn to it.  Guess what, it was my nugget! 
This was the verse.  His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of man.  Psalm 147:10.  Go ahead and say it...HUH?????  As I read, it made sense.  She was anorexic(different disease, yet the same issues of dealing with food addiction).  The point she made was that God does not delight in my physical appearance, but he does delight in the condition of my heart!!  PRAISE THE LORD!  GOD DOESN'T CARE WHAT NUMBER IS ON THE SCALE!!
The Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.  Psalm 147:11
So when the scale doesn't move, it is time to do a heart check.  Have I been making food and exercise decisions based on glorifying the Lord?  If the answer is yes, walk away from the scale knowing that God is pleased with you!!  If the answer is no, walk away from the scale determined to get back on track with the Lord.
I feel like I have just rambled today.  I pray that in some sort of miracle, these words make sense to you and bless you.  My hope is that we can retrain our minds not to find our acceptance in the scale, but in Christ Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Mary,
    The Lord is using you in an incredible way. You are such an encouragement to me--your vulnerability and honesty in the spiritual journey the Lord is taking you on. The things that you are sharing can be applied to every area of life and have encouraged me so much. I look forward to reading your posts each day. You are an inspiration. You go girl!!!!
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete