Monday, August 29, 2011

Hey Jude!

I don't ever remember reading Jude before.  But, I think he is on to something. 
For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you.  They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.  Jude 4
Two things here.  These are not godless people living out in the world with no claim to Jesus.  They are people among us in the church.  And what do they do?  They use the grace that was given to us on the cross as an excuse to keep on sinning.
Are you one of the people that Jude calls godless?  I admit I have been one.  Living the christian life for so many years.  Not really worrying about my sins because I knew they were taken care of.  Just as Jude says, that grace gave me the license to keep on sinning, because I knew I was forgiven.  I kept on sinning in my eating habits, through the words of my mouth, through the actions of my heart.  Using the excuse of "I am only human or God made me this way".  Thinking to myself that God knows I am going to sin, that is why there is grace.
Shame on me.  That is no way to live.  How about living life instead of aiming to be Christ-like and knowing all the while that we will never achieve it.  Praising God for grace every time we stumble. 
That is how life should be lived.  Not, by saying "Whoops!  I did it again.  Oh well, at least there is grace."  But, by saying, "I did it again, Lord.  Please help mold me so that I may learn not to sin in this way.".  Isn't that the way it should be?

No comments:

Post a Comment