Thursday, August 18, 2011

Worn Out

Let me tell you, I am worn out.  Two weeks into this school routine and all I want is to sleep in like the "good ol' days".  I know if I am exhausted, then I can't imagine what these kids are feeling!  Routines are good, but I would prefer them to be able to start around 7:30 instead of 6 o'clock in the morning. 
As I opened my bible this morning, I was wishing that Starbucks delivered.  I am laughing at myself now, because I don't know why I didn't just go make myself a cup in my kitchen.  I guess that is just proof of how tired I was.
Matthew was the source of my comfort this morning.  Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  Matthew 11:28-30
There is so much good stuff in those two little verses.  First, we climb up in our Savior's lap and find comfort and rest .  Remember when we were little and could climb into our parent's lap and feel that instant peace and comfort?  That is how I imagine this verse in my mind's eye.  It makes me smile.
Then, Jesus talks about taking on his yoke.  I don't instantly connect a yoke with rest.  A yoke is used with cattle to help them during working the fields.  I see an ox with his head hung low and burdened with the weight of the plow.  That is how we are when we try to take on our struggles by ourselves.  But, praise the Lord, when we allow for our struggles to be handled by Jesus, our yoke becomes light.  We learn to handle the circumstances with gentleness and our souls will find rest. 
I am not dealing with any major struggles right now, but this is a reminder that it doesn't matter what the circumstances are, we need to give them over to Jesus.  We need to learn find rest and comfort in him.  Peace in your soul goes a long way in making each day easier to deal with.  So today, I am just going to snuggle up to my Lord and enjoy the peace that comes along with it. 

1 comment:

  1. I see the yoke giving rest and peace in that the yoke is a tool for the master to guide the ox in the yoke...thus too God is guiding ME in the yoke and the plans are laid out so I don't have to make them. I don't have to worry about making choices of which way to go because God is in charge. He's the Master. God is promising that His choices for our lives are easy...and while the path may be narrow, and if we try to take back control and make choices with the world in thought...it won't be easy. But if we keep that yoke where He is in control of the choices, it will be easy.

    Interesting thoughts...and I'd never really thought about the yoke before because you are right, I've always pictured them as these heavy objects weighing heavily on the cattle in the field who were struggling to do their duty.

    I'm not totally coherent today - worn out myself with a cold on top of it. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete