Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Rules for Young Mothers

...train younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.  Titus 2:4b-5
There are two things that jump out at me this morning that I need to work on.  I need to be self-controlled and busy at home. 
Let's talk about being self-controlled.  This is something that Paul talks about a lot in his letters to both the churches and to his fellow missionaries.  He states that we need to LEARN to be self-controlled.  This is something that I once thought would just be formed in you, not something that you had to practice.  I don't know why I thought that, I just did.  I thought most of the fruits of the spirit would just appear in you if you were following Christ. I am seeing know that they are disciplines that have to be PRACTICED and with God's strength will be formed in you. 
Okay, so self-control is a hard one for me(it just takes one look at me or a few minutes in my presence to know this).  I have a hard time controlling my mouth, my desires, my actions, and my thoughts.  I mean, I say what I think.  I eat what I want.  I do what I want.  And, if I am completely honest, I often let my thoughts go unchecked.  So, what is this thing of self-control?  I have to learn to give myself daily to trying to keep all these things in check.  I have to be conscious of what I put into my mouth as far as food.  I have to bite my tongue and not always say everything I am thinking.  I have to stop and think before I do something.  I need to make sure what I say, do and think are going to be honoring to the Lord.  Whew...that is a full time job right there!!!  I know this fruit is going to take a LONG LONG time to develop.  But, I must keep at it.
Secondly, I need to keep busy at home.  This is never more true for me then right now.  With Eleanor off to school, I will have more time on my hands.  It is time to step it up a notch and get back to my cleaning schedule. (Yes, I have a schedule of certain things that need to get done on certain days.  It is even on my fridge for me to see, but it often gets ignored).  So, I understand the busy part.  But, lets talk about the "at home" part.  Do I really need to be running all around each day?  Do I need to be spending more time making my house a home?  Do I need to be content to stop running and spending money all the time?  Hmmmm...something I have never considered.  Maybe, I need to dwell on that aspect a little more.  It hurts a little to think about.  But, it may be true.  Keep busy AT HOME(not just keep busy). 
Well, I think that is enough for me to focus on for awhile, don't you!  Man, I prayed that God would take me out of my comfort zone and challenge me today.  I think I got it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment