Friday, August 12, 2011

Psalm 91

When I was a young child,  I would often be awoken by the feeling of evil presence all around me.  Mom and I would spend lots of time praying and singing until I would finally feel at peace and would be able to fall back to sleep.  As I got older, I can remember saying the name of Jesus aloud over and over again, until the peace of the Lord would again overcome the evil presence and I would be able to sleep.  I still have these episodes, but not as frequently. 
Psalm 91 has a special place in my heart because it talks about the constant protection that God gives those that dwell in his shelter.
I have a picture hung in Eleanor's room(that was once hung in my room) that depicts a young boy sleeping and a warrior angel standing over him.  His protective wings spread wide.  The verse below it is this.  For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.  Psalm 91:11
It has always been a comfort to me to know that there are angels that are protecting me and those I love.  There are spiritual forces that are doing as God commands. 
But, as much as I love that verse, I think verses 4-6 has spoken to my heart even more in these past few days.  He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.  You will not fear terror of night nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. 
This gives me such comfort to know that Eleanor is safe under the wings of my Lord.  Oh, how that makes my heart sing.  Does it yours?  As much control that I have lost in the past week, my Lord is still in control.  He is still in the business of taking care of his flock.
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust"  Psalm 91:1-2
I encourage you to read Psalm 91.  It is filled with unchanging promises that God  is faithful even through the dangers and heartaches of this fallen world.  All we must do is willfully put ourselves under God's care and protection.  We must realize that we can't do it ourselves.  Just like everything else I have been learning.  Each day, we have to make the choice to let God be in control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment