Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Rules for Christian Households

Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.  Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.  Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.  Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.  Colossians 3:18-21
Four simply stated rules.  Seems easy enough.  I find it humorous sometimes when I read the bible and things are stated so simply that I find myself thinking, "Got that.  That is easy."  It is always the things that I think are "givens", easy to follow, that kick my booty.  Just like those ten commandments.  So simply stated that you think nothing of them.
Last night, in my household, all of these rules were broken in a matter of minutes.  The specifics don't matter, but just know that it was a tense night in the Hughes household.  None of us followed our rule and it created an enviroment of everyone looking out for themselves and no one allowing the love of the Lord to flow through us.  We were mad at Eleanor.  Eleanor was mad at us.  Bryan and I were mad at each other. Thank goodness we each had enough sense to go to our own spaces and calm down.  During that time, we each were dealt with by God.  We all came back repentive and things got better.
But see, if we would have followed the rules in the first place, things wouldn't have been said that can never be taken back.  A bad example of communication would not have been demostrated for our child to see.  There would have been peace in our house instead of anger.
I am reminded yet again that it is the easy stuff that needs to be worked on the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment