Friday, August 19, 2011

Ineffective and Unproductive

So we all know the list of qualities that Paul gives us in Galatians 5.  The fruit of the spirit are plastered all over mugs, plaques, and pictures.  But, often the list of qualities that Peter gives us are overlooked.   Peter gives us the list of faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love.  I love what Peter has to say after he lists these things.
For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  But anyone who does not have them, he is near-sighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.   1 Peter 1:8 & 9
There are a lot of times that I pray for certain qualities in this list.  I find myself thinking, "once I have them, I am good".  But, look at what Peter says.  We need to have them in increasing measure.  Once again, I am reminded that we are never "done" as Christians.  We have never arrived. 
I am encouraged to know that God will always have something to teach me.  I will always have knowledge to gain.  I can always learn to love others more.  Everyone knows that I can always stand to gain a little more patience. 
Peter also says that we have to do something.  We have to make EVERY EFFORT to add these things to our life.  God is really driving home the fact that I have to work at my relationship with him.  Look at verse 9 above.  If we aren't striving for them, then we have lost sight of the forgiveness that we have been given.  There is no such thing as being a casual christian.  If we truly grasp what the Lord has done for us, our lives will be changed.  We will be serious in adding to your faith, goodness, and to goodness, knowledge, and to knowledge, self-control, and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.  1 Peter 1: 5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment