Monday, August 1, 2011

Dreams

I have been struck senseless by a blog that I read this morning by Renee Swope.  She asked the questions "What do you love to do? If finances were unlimited and failure was impossible, what would be your dream?".  I realized that I have no clue who I am.  What does God dream for me? 
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. Psalm 139:13
God created me for a very specific purpose.  He made me like no one else.  With my own personality and passions to serve him.  There is a reason that I exist.  But, what is that unique purpose?
Isn’t it easy to neglect ourselves to meet the needs of everyone around us, and call it self-sacrifice? It sounds godly. But in doing so we risk shutting down a place in our soul where God’s dreams and gifts are waiting to be revealed. The truth is: you and I were not designed to be whom others expect us to be, or even want us to be. We were created to become all that God planned for us to be. -Renee Swope
You know, I for so long have been trying to live up to expectations that both others and myself have placed on me.  Trying to be that "perfect" mother, wife, housekeeper, employee, friend.  Never living up to it and never feeling completely myself in the roles that I was trying to fulfill.  Trying to be like someone else that I saw.  But what does God want me to be?  I know he dreams big.  What if I stop trying to be someone else and just let God form me into the woman he wants me to be.
Today I start asking God what his dream for me is.  What does he want me to accomplish for his kingdom?  What is his plan for my life(Jeremiah 29:11).  Maybe if I stop getting in his way, he can do great things through me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment