Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Amazing Race

I have compared this journey that I am on to a race many times.  It is a visual that makes sense to me.  I am in a marathon to lose this weight, not a sprint.  I love how Paul also uses the visual of a race to remind us that our lives are to be lived this way.
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore, I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.  No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.  1 Corinthians 9:24-27
I love two things about this passage.  First, that he talks about going into strict training.  He reminds us that this journey we are on shouldn't be run aimlessly.  We need to go all out.  We need to train and then run like the person wanting to come in first place.  Imagine two different people in the marathon.  The one that wants to win it and the one that just wants to finish it.  I have always looked at it, as just finish the race.  NO!  I need to give it everything I have.  I need to do the very best I can on this journey.  Both in weight loss and in life.  If I know I can give it more, then I should.  I can not be satisfied with mediocre. 
The second thing that I love about this passage is that I need to beat my body and make it a slave.  I have to MAKE myself do the things that I know I should.  It is not going to come easy to do the things that are going to be honoring to the Lord.  My sinful tendencies are going to fight me every step of the way.  But, with the Lord's strength, I can conquer those things step by step.  I just have to keep running.  Running with everything I have.  Running like I want to cross that finish line FIRST!
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.  Proverbs 16:3
Lord, help me run this race with everything I have.  Give me the strength to keep on going even when I can't see the finish line.  Give me the knowledge that is needed to make my body and soul a slave to you.  Grant me grace when I fall and help me to get back up.  But more than anything, just help me to get my feet moving in the right direction with each new day.  May you be glorified in my race.  You alone are the prize worthy of attaining. 

1 comment: