Thursday, July 21, 2011

Life by the Spirit

I am at Mom and Dad's for a few days.  I had decided last night that I was just going to sleep in.  No need to get up early and get going.  But, this morning I awoke to a voice inside my head saying, "I need you to get up.  You need to spend time with me."  So, out of obedience I pulled myself out of bed and looked at the clock 6:08am.  (Remember, I had made the commitment to get up at six every morning.)  I had to smile to myself.  God is teaching me what it means to have self control and to be faithful to him. I can't satisfy my sinful desire to be lazy and also serve my Lord.  They can't go hand in hand.
So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.  For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit and the Spirit is what is contrary to the sinful nature.  They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.  Galatians 5:16-17
So, what are the acts of a sinful nature?  Paul lists them for us.  Sexual immorality, debauchery (the eccessive pursuit of fleshly desires), impurity, idolatry and witchcraft, hatred, discord, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions (or cliques), envy, drunkenness, and orgies. 
Now there are several of those that I can say, "whoooo, not doing those!" , but there are several that I have the tendency towards.  Left to myself, I will fall upon them every time.  If we are honest with ourselves, we all do.  Don't let the big words fool you.  These aren't just things that "really bad people" have issues with. 
According the the scripture, I can't live in the Spirit of Christ and also have these things in my life.  It is one or the other.  It explains why for so long, as I lived with food as my idol, I didn't really feel the presence of the Lord in my life.  I felt like my prayers hit the ceiling and I never had peace. 
There is good news.  If we are living in the Spirit, guess what we get!  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Galatians 5:22-23
Oh, I want those!!  That is why I pray that God will reveal to me when I am starting to edge my way back towards my evil desires.  I don't want to be pulled away from peace and joy.  I want to live a life of faithfulness and self-control.
There is only one way to do that.  I have to daily, moment by moment, make the decision to deny my sinful nature and live in the Spirit.  But, let me not forget that I can't do that without the strength that only God can give me!  And, if I fall back into my into these sinful ways, thank the Lord for grace!  Because he is my Savior, I can go to him for forgiveness and then begin walking in the Spirit again!  Isn't that wonderful news!  We aren't going to be able to get this right.  But, the Lord is good and he has provided us with grace so that we can try again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment