Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Enemy of the Cross

Have you ever come across a scripture that hurts you so bad that you actually close your bible and walk away from it?  Have you every skipped over a scripture because you didn't want to face the truth of what it is saying to you?  This scripture sums up what my whole journey is about.  Why I am fighting my food addiction with such drastic measures.
For I have often told you before and say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.  Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame.  Their mind is on earthly things.  Philippians 3:19
An ENEMY OF THE CROSS.  Did you catch that?  I am an enemy of the cross because my stomach is my god.  ENEMY OF THE CROSS!!!  What did I have to look forward to?  Destruction and shame.  Y'all get this.  I call myself a Christian, but for years I have lived as an enemy of Christ.  I used to think that God didn't care about how much I ate or that I loved food to the point of it being all consuming in my life.  Oh, but he does!  In fact, he cares so much that he sees me as an ENEMY when I let it become my god!  This is why I strive daily to conquer my food addiction and to make sure that Christ is my GOD.  I need to make sure that nothing is placed before him.
I can't sugar coat this verse and pretend that Paul was talking about some other idol or god that we may have in our lives.  He is specifically talking about people who let their stomach master them. 
But, one thing gives me strength not to feel defeated.  It actually comes in the verses above this one. 
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead.  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 3: 12-13
Praise be to Jesus!  Even though I haven't conquered it, I can press on and strive for the goal.  I can draw my strength from the Lord to know that I may not have it all figured out, but I am working towards that goal.  Such amazing news!!  It brings me humbled before the cross each day, knowing that I don't deserve even an ounce of grace.  Oh, but the grace that he gives!!!  Thank you, Jesus, for such an amazing gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment