Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mastered by nothing

Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial.  Everything is permissible for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.  Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, but God will destroy them both.  1 Corinthians 12-13

Mastered:  To be controlled by, to be conquered, to be defeated by, to be a slave to something or someone.  This is not how I want my life to be lived.  I do not want to be mastered by food.  I don't want to live my life in a cycle of defeat. 
I am an all or nothing kind of girl.  I see the world in black and white.  It is right or wrong.  There are rules to be followed.  I do best with strict rules and lines in the sand that I dare not cross.  But, I am striving to learn moderation.  I am trying to learn to live in the middle ground.  I am not comfortable here. I am either on a strict diet or I am on a binge.  How do I live in a world where everything is permissible when it comes to food, but not everything is beneficial.  How do I learn to differentiate when it is okay for me to have things and when I should say no and walk away.
Bryan and I had a talk yesterday about my banishment of carbs from my world.  He wants more than anything for me to learn that it is all okay in moderation.  I agree, but I don't know how to live in that world.
I have been on a diet since I was in 7th grade.  On a diet since I was 12 years old.  That is 22 years of rules and regulations.  Do's and Don'ts.  Eat this, don't eat that.   Moderation is not something I understand. 
I see now that it isn't about what I eat as much as letting food master me.  I realize that I can be mastered by food whether I am eating right or wrong.  Food has complete control of my mind.  When I am dieting, I am  consumed by the rules of the diet.  When I am binging, I am consumed by the food itself.  Neither one is pleasing to the Lord. 
I am aware of this cycle now.  I just don't know how to break it.  I am so glad that I have a Lord that is willing to step in and help.  All I have to do is pray for wisdom to understand the situation and the strength to break the chains of the thing that masters me.  I don't want my mind to be filled with thoughts of food but with thoughts of God.  Maybe this is what I strive for in the coming days.  When my mind turns to food, then I need to turn it back to God.  I need to pray, read, sing and talk about my Lord when I feel the pull of the chains trying to pull me back into my slavery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment