Thursday, July 28, 2011

Keep Your Mouth Shut

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  Ephesians 4:29

I have to giggle to myself as I read this verse this morning.  It brings back some college day memories.  I discipled 3 girls when I was at the University of Montevallo.  I can remember that we decided to memorize this verse and say it every time we started to talk about someone in a way that was not edifying.  I see in my minds eye how one of use would start in on a conversation and another one would scream out this verse.  It was a verse that was repeated often during a day.  That is a given when you are living in a dorm full of girls! 
I definitely need this verse to remind me to keep my mouth shut.  My mouth is my worst enemy.  It gets me into a LOT of trouble.  Sometimes it is my pure honesty and other times it is simply the tone of my voice that gets me into trouble.  On the other hand, it is often just my lack of regard of another person when I am "passing along information".  (Maybe we just won't call it gossiping today.)
I have often times prayed to God that he would give me a gentle and quiet spirit.  One that would not feel the need to right the wrongs of the world.  A spirit that would not need to speak out at injustices that I see.  One that could simply keep her mouth shut at all times. .  But, then I realized that I have the gift of prophecy, so all those things that I want to change are the very gifts that God has given me.  But, I do have to pray that those gifts are kept under control of the Spirit, not of myself. 
That is where this verse comes in.  I need a daily reminder to just shut my mouth.  Strive for that gentle and quiet spirit that can be given to me.  If only, I could make it through a day without sinning with my mouth.  I don't even know if I can make it through an hour!  But, it is worth a try. 

2 comments:

  1. i remember that!! :) hope you are doing well, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i realy like this one u say " It is about the relationship that I am gaining with my Lord and Savior!"

    ReplyDelete