Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Stand Firm

Two of Paul's favorite words are STAND FIRM.  He encourages the early churches to do this time and time again.  This is just one example.
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.  Do everything in love.  1 Corinthians 16:13
I love this verse because it gives such a powerful approach to my daily life.  First of all, I have to be on my guard.  I have to watch out for the subtle ways that Satan will try to get me off track.  I also have to be on guard about the decisions that I make.
Take yesterday for example.  Eleanor and I were in Target(I know that comes as a big surprise!) and she wanted a cinnamon and sugar pretzel.  Since she didn't eat much lunch, I decided to treat her. Then, she only took one bite.  That left that yummy bread concoction to speak to me. "Eat me.  Lick me.  Try Me.  Don't let me go to waste."  Oh my goodness!!!  If I hadn't been on my guard, I would have mindlessly gobbled that thing up.  But, I was on my game yesterday(thank goodness).  BE ON YOUR GUARD!
Then came the decision time.  Do I eat it?  Just one bite?  I haven't had my afternoon snack.  Would it hurt this one time?  STAND FIRM!  No, it is not what my body needs.  It is permissible, but not beneficial for my body.  So, I prayed and then starting repeating the mantra from Made to Crave.  "I am made for more.  Made for more than this temporary enjoyment.  Made for more than defeat I will feel after I have gone against my eating plan.  God made me for more!"  So I stood firm and brought it home for my hubby to enjoy.
Now, I know this is a silly and trite example of this verse.  But, I have come to realize that there is room for God in every circumstance in our lives.  Not just the big decisions, but the little ones.  So, I am claiming it for a victory in God that I didn't eat that pretzel.  Snicker and laugh if you must.
I personally am empowered that God can walk with us each step and help us through everything we face.  I am overjoyed that my God will be there next time I have a decision to make.  Even if that next decision is a major, life changing decision.  I can take these same principles that he is teaching me and walk through the unknown with him.  Doesn't that make you feel safe and loved?  It does me!

No comments:

Post a Comment