Thursday, July 7, 2011

Idolatry

I just want to start off saying, THANK YOU GOD, THANK YOU GOD, THANK YOU GOD!!!  He has been faithful and my body has moved past 275.  I am @ 272 now.  He took my fear and my unbelief and showed me that he will help me succeed!  What a wonderful lesson learned!! 

Now on to Idolatry.  It is one of those words like "gluttony" that sounds so bad that we don't think we have a problem with it.  But, when you look at it closely, you are horrified that it is a problem for all of us.  See if this definition scared you as much as it did me.  Idolatry:  blind or excessive devotion of something other than God.
I jumped back from that one.  Recoiled on every account!!  YIKES!  There goes another ten commandment broken(I think I am 3 for 10 now)! 
Not only am I guilty of idolatry, I didn't even realize it until I asked the Lord to make it known to me.  As you all know, my idol is food.  Do you have one?  Is it your child, or your spouse, your football team, your exercise routine, or your computer?  Or could it be something else?
In 1 Corinthians 10, Paul warns us to hold the Israelites as examples.  Even though they were given it all by God, he was not pleased with them. 
Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did.  Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: "The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in pagan revelry."  We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did-and in one day twenty-three thousand of them died.  We should not test the Lord, as some of them did-and were killed by snakes.  And do not grumble, as some of them did-and were killed by the destroying angel.  These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages to come.  So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you do not fall!  1 Corinthians 10:6-12.
I have been reminded a lot lately that we should FEAR THE LORD.  It says it a lot in the bible.  God is a jealous God and he will not stand for anything to be put before him.  This has moved me into action.  I can't sit and pretend that God doesn't really care about my addiction.  I see that my relationship with him will always be strained and hindered if I am allowing my idol to take first place.  I am not going to test God and see if he will eventually take action against my disregard for his commands.  I am going to make every effort to place God first and ask that I will be able to see clearly if or when something starts to take first place in my life. 

1 comment:

  1. At one point, adoption became my idol. TV was fast becoming an idol in our home as well...thus no cable/satellite now. {HUG}

    ReplyDelete