Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful.  I know that full well."  Psalm 139:14

Psalm 139 is probably one of my favorite psalms.  It tells of God's greatness and David praises the Lord for creating him just the way he is.  David knows that the Lord can make no mistakes.  In this psalm, he is overwhelmed by this knowledge. 
As I come across the verse above, I always think of babies.  Maybe it is because this verse is plastered across walls, art, picture frames, and so much more.  Then it is always placed in a baby's nursery!  How come we can believe it about a wonderful newborn, but not believe it about ourselves and others?  Is it because their sin isn't evident yet? 
Well, it is time that I start believing it about myself.  I look at portions of this verse and can shout AMEN!  I know that it is true that God's works are wonderful.  I am surrounded by the beauty he has created in nature.  I can see it in the eyes of my daughter.  I just can't see it in myself.
So how do I get there?  The directions are above.  I need to start claiming it as a fact and then I need to start PRAISING the Lord for it!  Whenever I start thinking negative thoughts about myself, I need to claim this verse.  I need to hold on to the TRUTH that God didn't make a mistake!  God didn't goof up on me.  I don't think the word "Oops" is in his vocabulary!  After I have a firm grasp on that and I have let the truth uproot the lie, I PRAISE the Lord for what he has done!
Oh, and this doesn't stop with me.  When I start seeing the negative in others and I am tempted to start focusing on their flaws, I need to stop and apply the same principle.  They are fearfully and wonderfully made as well.  I need to remember that we are all flawed, but that God made us who we are for a reason.  My love for others needs to move past those flaws and into praise for the one who made them!
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way of the everlasting.  Psalm 139:23-24  This is my prayer today.  May we all start to see the beauty in ourselves and in others.  God didn't mess up.  Praise him for that!  Oh, and go read Psalm 139! 

No comments:

Post a Comment