Friday, June 17, 2011

Walk This Way

I have finished reading Hebrews and the Lord has lead me to 1 Kings.  I dread reading it. I have a pattern when it comes to the Old Testament.  I start a book with very good intentions and then get so bogged down in all the history that I don't understand.  I throw my hands up in surrender and run back to the New Testament.  So, here I am.  Already scratching my head in the first three chapters.  Asking questions such as "Why do we need to know that King David was cold, so they brought him a virgin to lie with?"  Why did King Solomon have to chop off his brother's head because he asked for that same virgin for his wife?"  The number one question is "How in the world am I supposed to apply this to my life?" 
Through prayer this morning, God did show me how to apply it.  There is a common theme that is running through these first three chapters.  WALK IN THE WAY OF THE LORD.
So be strong, show yourself a man, and observe what the Lord your God requires:  Walk in his ways, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws, and his requirements, as written in the Law of Moses, so that you may prosper in all you do, and wherever you go, and that the Lord may keep his promise to me"  1 Kings 2:2-4  (King David is charging Solomon.  He is about to die and Solomon is about to take over the throne.)
And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.  1 Kings 3:14 ( The Lord has come to Solomon in a dream and told him that he would give him anything he wanted.  Instead of wealth, a long life or victory over his enemies, Solomon has asked for wisdom.  The Lord is pleased and has granted him a discerning heart and has also promised him riches and honor.  He will also give him a long life if he does as the above verse states.)
It is clear to me that I must walk in the ways of the Lord daily.  But, how is that done?  How do I know what that walk looks like?  Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.  Psalm 119:105 
I will not know how to walk in the ways of the Lord, unless I study his word.  The word of the Lord will be my guide.  It will show me how to walk.  It is my GPS.  Without it, I will end up on the "wrong side of town"  doing things that are against God's commands. 
Wow!  I am really impressed that all of this came together for me today.  It just goes to show that the Lord shows up every time you are in the word.  I have learned all I have to do is ask that my ears be opened and that my eyes may see what the Lord is trying to teach me.  Oh, and I don't stop until the Lord has given me my nugget.  This morning it was an hour and a half.  Yesterday, it was 10 minutes.  All in God's time!  Thank you, Lord.  Now, on to VBS stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment