Thursday, June 23, 2011

Weakness

Today I hit the big 3-0.  Thirty pounds lost!!!  I am so thrilled.  All I can say about it, is THANK YOU JESUS!!  But I am also reminded in scripture today how vigilant I need to remain.  Food is my weakness.  Food is what will make me turn away from the Lord in a heartbeat. 
In 1 Kings, I am continuing to learn about King Solomon.  Remember, he is the one that the Lord appeared to and granted him not only his one request for wisdom, but he also gave him wealth, health, and freedom from enemies.  God did all this because Solomon sought after God with all his heart.  The Lord even appeared to him a second time after Solomon had built a temple for the Lord. 
In Chapter 11 God warns Solomon not to marry women from other nations. You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods.  1 King 11:2  But Solomon's weakness was women.  Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love.  1 Kings 11:2  He had over a thousand wives and many of them worship other gods.  Solomon lost sight of the one true God and started worshiping the gods of his wives.  Hello!!!  This was a man that SAW God twice!  How much more are we prone to wander. 
God's reaction was anger.  He took away his promise of making Solomon's kingdom prosper.  He raised up adversaries against Solomon.  The saddest thing is that the majority of the punishment would be played out in Solomon's son's rule.  Solomon's son would pay for his daddy's sins.
This is no joke!  God DOES NOT want us to put ANYTHING else before him.  Not food.  Not our children.  Not sports.  Not work.  NOTHING!   I must stay vigilant, and be on top of my tendency to turn to food over God.  I must FLEE the temptation.  This is a reminder that I need as I am transitioning back into real food this week.  Just because I can now eat anything, does not mean that I need to start turning back to food for comfort and for fulfillment. 
What is your god?  Do you have one?  It is starting to creep back into your life and take root again?  I urge you friend, FLEE!!!

1 comment:

  1. 30 pounds! That's great! So proud of you!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete