Monday, June 13, 2011

A New Normal

I ran across one of my favorite verses last night.  You all have probably heard it a million times.  "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11.  As I reread the entire chapter this morning, I gained some new perspective.
The first thing I saw was that the Lord was speaking to the people that had been exiled to Babylon from Jerusalem.  There life had been uprooted.  They were worried about what was in store for them.  In verses 5-7 God tells them to "settle in".  He wanted them to find a new normal.  He wanted them to know that he was going to take care of them, even in a foreign land.  He told them to build houses, plant gardens, have babies and make peace in the land.  He didn't want them to just get comfortable for a little while, he wanted them to start a new life. 
I am there.  I am starting my new normal.  Life is becoming easier.  I have stopped looking back and second guessing my decision.  I realized that there was no use.  All that looking back would never change anything.  I have to trust that the Lord has my back.  He is going to take care of me. 
He also promised them something else.  This is the major nugget for me.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  Jeremiah 29:12-13
First of all, God LISTENS to us.  I often times think of God saying, "yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.  We have been through all this a million times.  Why don't you just move on, Mary"  That isn't the case at all.  When we bring our troubles to God, he listens every time.  Whether it is the first time or the hundredth time.  The only catch is that he really is hoping that we will find peace and hope in him.  How are we to do that?  SEEK HIM EARNESTLY!
Seeking something can be different for everyone.  Take my parents for example.  When my father loses something, he walks into a room and standing in the center looks around and then proclaims that he can not find what he is looking for.  My mom on the other hand, will get down on her hands and knees and will overturn everything in the room until she finds the lost item.  Which do you think would be the image of seeking something earnestly?  Mother, of course!
I can't just pick up a devotional and read one verse and an explanation and spend 5 minutes with my Lord.  I can't just listen to christian music while I run errands.  These things are great ways to remind myself through the day that God is with me, but I will never find true peace and hope this way.  I have to dig a little deeper.  I have to give God some REAL time.  I have to make my relationship a priority.  I have learned this first hand.  In the last month I have been making every effort to have a deeper relationship with my Lord.  As time has passed, I have grown more peaceful and have more hope then I have in a long time.  Even when days are rough because I am living a new normal, I know that the Lord has my back.  He has a plan for me!  That is what is exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment