Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Shhhh...Listen

If you are a Christian, you have a little voice inside of you that is waiting to help guide you through each decision that you need to make.  It is called the Holy Spirit.  I am learning that I only really hear the Holy Spirit when I am still and listen for his guidance.  He doesn't scream or shout directions to you.  He speaks in a whisper.
I have been in the practice of asking the Holy Spirit for guidance over my food choices for over a year now(honestly not very well).  Last year I learned this verse and it gives you guidance on how to do this.
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, "This is the way, walk in it."  Then you will defile your idols overlaid with silver and your images covered with gold; you will throw them away like a menstrual cloth and say to them, "Away with you!".  Isaiah 30:21-22
The first thing I have to remember to do is, STOP and ASK.  Every time I go to eat something, I need to say a short prayer.  I need to ask "Is this going to glorify your temple?  Do I really need this in order to sustain me?"  Sometimes my prayer is as simple as "Do I, Lord?"  Then I LISTEN.  Remember, it is a gentle stirring within you.  You will get your answer.  If the answer is  yes, then enjoy!  If the answer is no, RUN!  Notice that the verse above speaks about idols and what it says to do with them.  It isn't some light hearted response that we are to summon.  We need to remove ourselves from the situation.  If that means throwing out the rest of the left over cake, then do it!
What I love about this verse, is that it isn't just food specific.  I wish I could say that I only had one idol, but it isn't the case.  So I use this same logic in many different circumstances.  "Lord, should I watch this TV program?  Should I say what I am thinking?  Should I post that response on Face Book?  Is this book I am reading pleasing to you?  Should I tell this piece of information to someone? " And on and on it goes. 
I have to learn to defile my idols.  If only I could remember to STOP, ASK, and LISTEN!  It is such an effective tool that I need to learn to depend on more and more!  The Lord gave us the gift of the Holy Spirit.  What wise counsel goes to waste all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment