Thursday, June 16, 2011

One Month Out

Today is the one month anniversary of my surgery.  According to the doctor's scales I have lost 26 pounds.  It is such a great accomplishment and I praise the Lord for the success that I have seen.  I think I am the happiest about the fact that I actually survived this first month.  When they told me that the first few weeks were very hard, I never imagined just how hard it would be.  They can't prepare you for the severity of the diet, the withdrawal from the sugar, the mental issues that come along with no longer having food as your best friend and the aggravation that comes along with learning how to physically eat differently.
I am reminded today that I am in a race.  It isn't a sprint.  It is a marathon.  I just got finished with the training for the race.  Often times, it is the training that causes the most pain.  But, it is also in the training that you see the biggest results.  Now, I am starting my marathon.  My weight loss will not be as dramatic as it was the first month.  I won't lose as fast as a gastric bypass patient.  I have to mentally get myself ready to diet, exercise, and have patience.  Slow and steady wins the race.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning the shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men. so that you will not grow wear and lose heart.  Hebrews 12:1-3
This passage follows the "Faith Chapter".  Chapter 11 is an account of many of the men and women that held tight to their faith in God.  It is because of their witness that we can see what we can accomplish when we hold tight to God and do not lose heart.  It gives us some very practical things to do as we run our race with the Lord(and every one's course is different).  First, we have to get rid of our perpetual sin that keeps us from God.  What is it for you?  Mine is my addiction to food.  I will have to make daily decisions to turn away from this sin in order to stay on course.  Then, I have to run and keep running.  When I think that I can't go one step further, I need to lean on Jesus for strength.  What should my focus be?  JESUS.  There will be bumps in the road, but I must not lose heart.  I have the best coach and cheerleader that one could ever have.  Jesus is going to lead me through this race. 
I also have to remember that when I stubble and fall, I must get right back up and continue the race.  I must not let myself walk to the sideline and sit down.  I can't get comfy and complacent in this journey.  Step by step and day by day with the Lord as my guide I will continue.  May God have all the glory in this transformation.  How excited I am in what he as already done within my soul in the past month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment