Sunday, June 19, 2011

Wisdom and Understanding

If you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.  For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.  Proverbs 2:1-6
  I have been reading 1 Kings and have been in awe of the wisdom that God granted King Solomon.  King Solomon simply had to ask for it, and it is the same wisdom that is available for us to have.  Wisdom for every aspect of our lives.  God cares about it all and we need to seek wisdom in the decisions you make each day. 
Here in the passage above Solomon gives us the steps that it takes to discover this wisdom.  First, we have the accept that God's word is true and then we need to MEMORIZE scripture.  I need to get better at this.  It is something that I did very well in my younger years and I was always amazed how God would draw the scripture up about of my heart in the most perfect times. 
Then, we have to ASK for our eyes to be opened and our heart to understand what we are studying in the bible.  I have started to do this before I open the bible each morning and the insight that I get is so amazing!
Finally, we have to SEARCH for it.  It isn't going to jump out at us like a jack in the box. It is something that we have to give time to.  Something that we have to be willing to work for.  We are willing to work so hard for so many things in life.  Work hard so we can have our toys and vacations.  So we can have our clothes and are meals out in restaurants.  But, how hard do we work for the thing that matters the most?  How much time and effort do we put into finding wisdom and understanding in God?  Do we really seek God?
I am humbled this morning at these questions.  I love my vacations and have even considered working outside the home just so that we can go on more.  Am I that dedicated to my relationship with the Lord?  Do I yearn for it as much as I do a vacation?  Am I willing to sacrifice and work hard for it?  I think I have a long way to go.  But, I will commit to doing the steps above each day that I am in the word.  In time, my wisdom will grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment