Monday, June 20, 2011

Matter of the Heart

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.  Put away perversity from your mouth and keep corrupt talk far from your lips.  Let your eyes look straight ahead.  Fix your gaze directly before you."  Proverbs 4:23-25

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.  I just love this verse and I have clung to it since my time as a single person.  It is so true that the heart is the center of it all.  And how easily it is that the heart can be hurt, broken or hardened.
Today, these verses ring true to me because we are entering into VBS week.  It is such a time of excitement, but it is inevitable that some one's heart will be hurt by unkind words or actions.  Stress, exhaustion, and different personalities will cause strife. 
My prayer is that I remember to keep corrupt talk from my lips this week.  I really need to keep my eyes focused on what the goal is.  That goal is teaching children about Jesus.  Pointing them to the almighty Savior!  So, I need to zip my lip, when my feelings are hurt or when someone is on my last nerve.  Lord, please help me control my mouth!  I don't want to be the source of some one's heart being hurt.
I know this rings true in everyday life.  I really have a hard time with my mouth.  Sometimes I wish I could rip out my voice box.  The Lord is disciplining me in this area. I am a slow learner, but I am learning that I don't always have to say what I think.  I am also learning that when I do wrong to someone, a sincere apology goes a LONG way in restoring a friendship. 
On the flip side, I have to learn to guard my heart against other people's actions and comments.  I need to stay focused on the Lord's work and I need to learn not to take these things to heart.  I need to remember that we are all sinners and we all make mistakes.  If I am hurt, then I need to put it into that perspective and leave it at the feet of Jesus. 
The heart is a very delicate thing.  May we guard it today and every day.
Please pray for the children @ Capshaw Baptist this week.  May their hearts be open to the word of the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment