Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Temptation

Food temptation has never been a thing that I have considered going to Jesus about until recently.  I just considered it a battle of the will.  If you had enough will-power, then you could make it through. 
My thoughts are changing.  The first shift came through the book Made to Crave and the second shift came this morning. 
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet was without sin.  Hebrews 4:15
I have always had this tendency to think of Jesus as this super hero.  Knowing he was fully human but without sin, is a hard concept for me.  But, look, he was tempted in EVERY way that we are.  Even if it isn't food that is tempting you, he has been there and done that!  I am reminded that Jesus went 40 days without food.  Man, that is a long time!  I didn't think I was going to survive a week without food!  So, Jesus does know what I am going through.  And because of that, he is able to give me the support and strength that I need to make it through the temptation. 
We often want advice from someone who has been through a situation like ours.  It is easier to grasp how to make it when you can talk to someone that has been around the same block!  Well, we have to look no further and Jesus!
I was struggling with this the other night.  I told a friend that it was so hard because very few people can even comprehend what I am struggling with.  There is only a couple of people that can truly empathize with this process.  But, I am encouraged today to know that Jesus knows.  Jesus can help me.  And guess what, Jesus can help you to.  What are you struggling with?  Is there something out there that is tempting you?  Well, Jesus has been there and has overcome! 
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.  Hebrews 4:16
Help is there. It just requires us to take a step toward Jesus and ask for his help.  There is grace and mercy awaiting us!  Jesus isn't some far away super hero, he is our friend.  The best friend that we could ever have!

No comments:

Post a Comment